Sunday, September 05, 2010

BBQ: Appy, Meal, Dessert

This summer has been an interesting one for the BBQ. I've baked french fries when it was too hot to do it indoors, and experimented with more fish than any previous year. Another breakthrough was the discovery of whole pork loin which I can cut into steaks myself for inexpensive and delicious meals.

This week has taken it even further, as I have managed to make an appetizer, and a dessert on the BBQ.


The appy: Grilled watermelon.

This one surprised us a lot. I was unsure of the result but did it spur of the moment just to see what it would do. It's simple. Brush with olive oil, grill a few minutes each side, then sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper! I read some other recipes that included honey and lime which could be really good too.


The dessert: Grilled peaches.

This one was tasty, an excellent summer dessert. Halve your peaches and drizzle with balsamic vinegar (really!) and brown sugar. Do this an hour or two before if you can. Make sure your peaches are ripe but not too soft. Grill face down for a few minutes, then flip for a few minutes on the other side. When you flip them, sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar on the open sides and let it melt. Serve with icecream, enjoy!

Basically, I'm starting to wonder if there's anything reasonable that can't be made on a grill. I'm going to keep experimenting. So far it's been worth it!

Labels: , ,


4 Smart Remarks:

Blogger L ~ S said...

The peaches sound very tasty!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Very tasty! I think both fruits would be great on the grill, but I think the peaches would top it all! Yum! Thanks for the idea!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Mom Hoyer said...

Awesome food on the BBQ!
Great ideas! Everything looks so tasty!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you missed your calling Andrew.....You should have been a CHEF !!!

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home