Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010

Ten years. That's how long the people of BC have waited for the Olympics to arrive. I remember when it was announced, and it is hard to believe it's been so many years.

The next two weeks should be interesting to say the least, and possibly some fun. I have no tickets to events, and probably the most direct participation I'll have with the Olympics is seeing the torch relay a few days ago. Hopefully I'll catch a few curling matches online as well.

As far as I've been able to tell, the preparations for this two-week event have been pretty good. Where I am concerned is the public transit and other transportation in the Lower Mainland. I have been shocked at the number of outages on the Skytrain in the past few weeks; everything from sections of the Skytrain out of order to ticket machines not taking credit cards. Worse yet, one day before the opening ceremonies, the Sea Bus is shut down when a suspicious package is found. If these kinds of things occur during the busy traffic times for events, the results could be devastating.

Actually, my real concern is the bridges. My commute relies on safe and easy passage across two of them each day. Okay let's be honest, crossing the Pattullo Bridge «street view» is rarely safe and only sometimes easy, but in all seriousness, it would take only a single protester, disgruntled bum, or a mere prankster to climb up onto the bridge, threaten to jump, and traffic is snarled for hours. Will we have police posted at all bridges? I haven't heard anything about it, but I hope someone's thought of this.

To Canada and our athletes, I wish you the best of luck and success at these games. I hope to see great results, and will try to catch a few events I'm interested in, curling in particular.

Have fun, everyone!

Labels:


2 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Nick Amado said...

Wooo Hoo! Lets have some fun!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Mom Hoyer said...

Go Canada! We watched the Opening Ceremonies...very nice and the Olympic Flame burning near the waterfront is very impressive!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home