Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January Chess Tournament: Game 1

The Langley Chess Club is holding a five round swiss tournament which started yesterday and runs for the following four Mondays. In my first game, I was paired with a player rated around 1700, my own rating being just under 1300. Typically this kind of gap is a guaranteed win for the higher ranked player, but the truth is that my rating is far lower than it should be due to the very few rated games I actually get to play, and frequent blunders even in games where I am doing well due to lack of competitive practice.

Yesterday's game was different though. An 85 move marathon lasting over three and a half hours, the tide turned a number of times during the game. I re-captured a piece with my Queen, bringing her out a bit early, and had to defend carefully for the first part of the game. Once safe, I came back strongly but not without a few errors along the way. Luckily, I was able to recover, capitalize on my advantages, and grind out a win.

This leaves me with a full point going into round two, and no doubt a nice boost to my rating. However, it pushes me to the group of players who won their first game as well, and I've been paired with the 2009 club champion for round two. Should be interesting.

I'm feeling pretty strong in my chess play these days despite not having played much, and this is a big confidence booster. Who knows, I may be able to come out of the tournament with another win or draw at least, for my best tournament result yet.

Labels:


2 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous e. said...

We are CHEERING for you! Go Andrew Go !!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Mom Hoyer said...

Congratulations on winning Game 1 of the Chess Tournament! Great news! Andrew Hoyer = Chess Champ!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home