Saturday, August 29, 2009

Shocking Events

Two weeks ago, we had an unfortunate experience with electricity. Due to some investigation and work being done to repair the power to another unit in our townhouse complex, something was done to send a number of large power surges to our unit. We were home, relaxing on a Saturday morning about 10:30am, when our security alarm went on... then off, then on. After a dramatic few minutes of rushing around and getting Charlotte outside away from the alarm, we discovered the construction people in the complex who cut off all power to our unit when they realized what was happening.

We had heard some definite electrical "popping", so we searched the house for damaged items. As it happens, almost every room in the house had one item which was dead. The fridge was out of commission, and smelled burned. The security system was down (turned out it was just the transformer), as well as a CD player, my iPhone dock / radio, our computer's power supply, and our cable modem.

The fridge had the worst damage, and once it was taken apart, we saw that it was even worse than initially thought.


Burned fridge electronics.


The burned and smoke streaked fridge ceiling.

It's pretty obvious that there is no easy way to fix this, and the appliance inspector from the insurance company noted it as such. The electronics could surely be replaced (although not all were in stock), but the inside ceiling of the fridge was burned too which makes it pretty much impossible except for massive repairs.

So far everything is going well with our insurance claim. We went ahead and bought a replacement fridge of the same make and model as we couldn't wait, but at this point that should be totally fine with the insurance as well. The rest of our items are relatively minor and will be replaced.

As for the complex, the work being done involved digging a new trench for a power cord to replace a faulty or damaged one. I nicknamed this project the Big Dig, after the Boston tunnel project which we drove through while we were there last year.


Our local "Big Dig", repairs for another unit.

The repairs to the complex are now complete, although there are a number of issues yet to be resolved, such as the developer neglecting to get a permit for the running of the new power cable. But these guys are a bit flaky, unreliable, and sometimes downright stupid.


Confidence wanes slightly when a carpet cleaning van comes to do electrical work.

Honestly. Add shady to the list of negative traits. It seems they have a whole series of businesses between which they exchange employees as needed.

That's our story for now. Like they say, if it isn't one thing, it's another. The good news is that everyone's okay and for the most part this is just a big inconvenience. Life goes on and we hope the next "thing" won't be for quite a while.

Labels:


4 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well well well sounds like you are having a time of it. I have heard of surges burning up equipment but never had had it happen to me yet thank God. Anyway wish all the best

Colin G

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

That would have been kinda scary! Your fridge sure got fried!

Hope all is resolved and you get totally refunded on what you had to replace!

5:24 AM  
Anonymous e. said...

Wow !!! Quite the damage !! Maybe it is time to move :)....at least keep your eyes open ! We are always looking !

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

Scary! Sounds like something from a bad dream! Glad it's under control now though. :)

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home