Saturday, June 13, 2009

Do Memories "Grow" Along With You?

It's funny how from time to time people get a flashback to a memory from years earlier. It's hard to fathom how many memories a person who reaches old age must have.

A memory that recently came back to me is a most intriguing one because it remains a mystery to this day. The event took place about 20 years ago, give or take a few. I was on the edge of a forested area with a few friends. On the ground is what I believe is a beetle, a massive one, dark gray, about 8 or 9 inches long and 5 inches wide, with a split down the back. All that I remember besides that is that one of the boys had a stick, and we may have followed it for a ways.

The questions start to pop up quickly. Do beetles of this type live in central Alberta, where I lived at the time? Not that we know of, and my Dad asked some type of biologist or something once, who confirmed the fact. Who were the guys I was with? I think I asked one guy I knew from back then, but he didn't remember. Was this a dream, or something I imagined? Maybe, but it's one of those memories that is clear and stuck with me, so I don't believe so.

Perhaps a more reasonable question is whether things you see as a kid grow in your mind as you yourself grow. Perhaps my memory simply makes me see the object in perspective according to the difference in size from then to now.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, or have seen giant beetles in unlikely places, I'd love to hear from you.

Labels:


5 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Susanna said...

I think your memory is true, because I remember people talking about the beetle from way back then. I thought the beetle was like a foot long. lol I never did see it though.

One thing that has affected me since I was young, was when there was the big tornado in Edmonton. I was very young, and didn't know what a tornado looked like, so when I looked at the sky, I didn't know what to look for, and I don't think I ever actually saw the funnel of the tornado. Dad got a pic of it though. Anyway, it's one of my goals to actually take a picture of a tornado myself. I would say the most reoccurring dreams (although they're never the same dream) I have are me in a building, near a tornado, trying to get my camera out to take a pic of it, but I don't think I've ever actually gotten a pic of a tornado in a dream yet. :(

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Mom H. said...

Was Dad there too? Dad says he remembers seeing a very large beetle about half the size of your iPhone.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Aunty Miriam said...

Funny how flashbacks come when you least expect them. The Chinese look at the brain in a very different way. They believe that all memories are put into "compatments" in the brain, and stay with us for all our life. I remember hitting my head under the kitchen table when I was really little.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I love thinking back and remembering old memories! Thanks for sharing yours!

About the big tornado...I can remember looking out Oma&A.Elsie's house and everyone pointing off in the distance to either two funnel clouds or tornados.

My earliest memory is when Andrew had an allergic reaction to his antibiotics, and Oma had to watch Sue&I...I remember looking down the flight of stairs in the duplex,at Mom&Dad and Andrew, and being concerned about the situation. I think I was 3.

10:04 PM  
Blogger mrs. trooper said...

This has been an interesting post to read and also I've enjoyed the ocmments. An interesting memory I have is when my Grandfather died sitting in the pew of our church. I "remember" his eyes rolling back and him slumping over and the men praying for him and hollering in his ear (he was deaf) and him coming back to life. This is an interesting memory because I wasn't born :). I think I heard the story so many times I thought I was there. Yet, it is SO clear in my memory that I would have sworm I was there and saw the whole thing.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home