Saturday, February 28, 2009

Twitter & Microblogging

This post is to introduce all of my readers to Twitter! What is Twitter? In short, it's a very simple system that tracks status updates. In a way, it's like a mini blog where you can enter things of interest quickly and easily.

First, take a look at my Twitter page, which will give you an idea of how things work: http://twitter.com/trooperscoop. Next, take a look at the left column on the blog, and you will see a section called "Twitter Updates". You can use your Twitter information almost anywhere, and there are plug-ins for all kinds of systems. I try to blog every couple of days, but many of the smaller things I do, or the interesting things I come across remain unannounced. This is where Twitter comes in, creating a sort of microblog. You can now check my blog and see more frequent updates by checking the sidebar.

Or better, you could get yourself a Twitter account, click the "Follow" button on my page, and get updates directly. The statuses of those you are following show up for you to read when you log in, and there are applications for most wireless devices that allow you to use Twitter from the road.

Twitter works on the concept of "following", sort of like becoming someone's friend on Facebook. You can look up your friends, or anytime you come across a Twitter link on a website and want to keep up with whatever is being posted there, just click the Follow button and you're set. There are even a lot of businesses and organizations that are using Twitter to let their customers keep track of the latest news or product releases.

Well, that's my intro, but you'll have to try it yourself to find out if you like it or not. See you online! Tweet tweet!

Labels: , , , ,


6 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Susanna said...

I had heard of Twitter before, but you inspired me to make my own account! You now have a new Twitter follower. :)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Trooper said...

Hi, Sue, that's great! A note to everyone: if you join twitter and want to share your name / username here so others can easily find you, just put it into a comment!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

my username on twitter is susannaholdren. :)

9:36 PM  
Anonymous shelley said...

Mmm, interesting. I would like the ability to comment though.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Mr. H. said...

I joined as well, and the nickname I will go by is: messageman

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Trooper said...

Shelley, you can certainly comment, but you must be a twitter user. Basically, it's like making a regular status update, but directed at someone. It shows up on your timeline, as well as the person you are responding to.

Mr H, welcome to Twitter.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home