Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Recession? Nobody Told The Stores

So, we're supposedly in an economic crisis. By the sounds of it, Canada is better off than the USA, but it's a downturn nonetheless. What I am surprised about though, is that nobody is acting like it, especially not the stores.

On the weekend, Natasha and I went out for an afternoon of shopping in our old neighbourhood. Looking around at the price of clothes is absolutely astounding. The high costs are nothing new, but if people have less money than before, surely this must be an even worse problem. Department stores are selling long sleeve shirts for $90, and t-shirts for $30! So are many other clothing stores.

I don't know about you, but I can do a lot better with $30 or $90 than a single article of clothing. After searching a number of stores, I found my plain navy blue t-shirt for $6 a piece and bought two. Apparently, adding some print to the front of a shirt adds $20 to the price.

It just makes me wonder how the stores survive, and as they seem to be, where people are getting the money from. Either they are racking up a lot of debt, or most people have ample money to spend on pricey clothes.

Until someone lets the stores in on the secret though, they won't be getting my business.

Labels: ,


4 Smart Remarks:

Blogger mrs. trooper said...

No kidding! And to top that off people think they have to buy "name brand" so they spend $60 for a dumb t-shirt just because it has some name brand on the front! Drives me crazy!

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

I know, it's crazy, isn't it?

It's even strange how much people are still shopping, considering we're in a recession. We were at the mall the other day and it took forever to find a parking spot, and Brian's like, "We're in a recession, people! What are you all doing out at the mall?" :)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous shelley said...

I think Canada is doing fine. It's alot of hype that is causing people to hold off buying big ticket items. I think the clothes industry will be fine...we still need clothes! I can't imagine paying $30 for a T-shirt either. I didn't before and don't plan on starting now.

I think people are holding off buying waiting for the 'better' deal, not because they can't afford it. At least here on the West Coast.

We need a bedroom set (yes, it's going on 10 years and we still don't have one!) but have been waiting for the 'super I can't NOT buy it' deal. Anyone know where that is?? LOL

1:32 PM  
Blogger MariaJoy said...

I felt guilty the other day about buying 2 jean skirts that weren't on sale! And they were only $20!! I try to get clothes on sale...but I know this store sells out of the jean skirts QUICK...and I needed some that fit better! (I wanted LONGER! haha)

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home