Tuesday, December 30, 2008

No Resolutions For 2009

In two days, millions of people will begin their "New Years Resolutions" which are mostly unrealistic plans on improving themselves. What most people don't realize is that the change in year only has a short term influence on a person's resolve. If they were serious, why not start on Dec 27, or sometime earlier in the year when they were also aware of the shortcoming.

I put little or no faith in resolutions that start on January 1st, so I don't even think about making one. Instead, I think that a set of reasonable and attainable goals for the year would be much more effective. They should be medium to long term goals with some way to measure progress at certain intervals. Instead of planning to go to the gym three times a week for example, set a goal of losing three pounds a month, and let the number of gym visits take care of itself. Each month you can track your progress and treat yourself to a tasty steak dinner (with a fully loaded baked potato) if your goal is being achieved.

So, what are my goals? I'm still figuring that out!

Labels:


1 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Susanna said...

I have a New Year's resolution, but it's easy. I'm going back on Weight Watchers, and I want to lose 20 lbs, preferably within 6 months. :)

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home