Tuesday, September 02, 2008

BC 3rd Lowest For Minimum Wage

Take a look at the chart below, listing the minimum wage in each province and territory in Canada.

Minimum wages across Canada
Newfoundland and Labrador$8.00
P.E.I.$7.75
Nova Scotia$8.10
New Brunswick$7.75
Quebec$8.50
Ontario$8.75
Manitoba$8.50
Saskatchewan$8.60
Alberta$8.40
British Columbia$8.00
Northwest Territories$8.25
Yukon$8.58
Nunavut$10.00

This came as a bit of a surprise to me! The last time I got minimum wage was back in Alberta when I was in school working at the library, and it was $5.75 an hour if I remember correctly. I just assumed things would have increased more over time, and especially with today's cost of living. Apparently not, as BC is tied for 3rd lowest minimum wage in Canada, where we have some of the highest prices around.

Reference: Nunavut gets top minimum wage in Canada

Labels: , ,


4 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Yeah, I think it would be hard to make it in BC on minimum wage.

Looks like one of the more deserted places in Canada offers the most money! I guess you have to pick which means more to you, eh?!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Bro Trevor said...

Perhaps the economy is better in B.C. and the only ones on minimum wage or school kids still living with parents? Thus no need to raise it? It's a theory anyhow.

Anyhoo... *cough* *wheeze* Back in my day I worked for $5.25. *wheeze* those were the days when you had to sweat for every dollar you earned. I even mowed lawns for a guy for $3.85/hr. That was a bad deal....

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

I was surprised about BC being so low too, especially considering how expensive the housing is.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous e. said...

Absolutely Crazy !!! The cost of living in BC is so high.....they should raise the minimum wage to $10.00 at least !!

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home