Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Canada Day 2008, New Rules

First of all, Happy Canada Day to all you Canadians! It's a beautiful day here in BC, blue skies and sun, but a more reasonable temperature than we've had the last few days. We are enjoying a relaxing holiday, BBQ-ing ribs for lunch, and visiting with friends in the evening. If we catch a few fireworks from our house, we'll be lucky, as I don't think being out past 11pm with Charlotte is a wise decision.

A few new laws come into effect today. The 2.4 cents per liter "carbon tax" is now being tacked onto the already high price of fuel. I won't get into this now, as I've posted about it before (here and here). I will say, however, that I hope the money will go to a useful purpose, such as extending rapid transit service out into Surrey, Langley, etc.

Another change today is that all children up to their 9th birthday must now sit in a proper car seat for their age and weight. This doesn't apply to me so I haven't looked into it in depth, but it means I'll be dealing with car seats of some type for a long, long time.

Anyway, for those of you on holidays today, have a great time! Those of you that have a holiday on Friday, you only have a few days to wait!

Labels: , , , , ,


3 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Susanna said...

Hope you guys had a fun Canada Day! Did you see any fireworks from your house?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mr. H. said...

Well, as far as the child seat issue goes..that is good I believe. It keeps more of the little kiddies alive and uninjured.

Even though the statistics are shoved into parent's faces on a daily bases, still too many kids are left unsecured in vehicles and then the poor kids pay the price for parents don't think it will happen to them...

On the 'Carbon Tax' issue, I think I will go to the USA and buy some fossil fuel for my CUV.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Happy Belated Canada Day to everyone...and Happy July 4th to all the Americans today! :)

We almost drove to the Illinois border yesterday to a HUGE Firework place, and stocked up BIGTIME on Fireworks...too bad you guys aren't here to celebrate with us! :D

Wow..9years is a long time...here it is 6yrs old...Happy Carseating...the biggest disadvantage is that when you have more than one (like me), it's pretty compact in the backseat!

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home