Wednesday, June 25, 2008

B.C.’s Climate Action Dividend

Natasha and I both received $100 cheques in the mail yesterday, compliments of the BC Government. It's part of their 2008 budget which includes a revenue-neutral carbon tax (that would be 2.41 center per litre on gas) and the climate action dividend. The purpose of the carbon tax is obvious: hurt people's bank accounts enough so they'll stop driving. Unlikely to succeed, except in such areas as travel and tourism, which our province thrives on.

The purpose of the Climate Action Dividend is less clear. They say they want people to put it towards things that will improve their environmental impact. A more efficient furnace perhaps, a push mower, or maybe just some compact florescent bulbs. I'm thinking about the bulbs myself, if I can find them cheap enough. Our house uses electricity for about 95% of its power (our stove is gas, the only way to go), so cutting back on that could help a lot.

Will people use it for such purposes though? Some people fill their tanks for $100 a shot, a good place to put the money. Others might pay off bills, buy a new BBQ for summer, or just stick it into savings.

What would you do? Or if you're from BC, what will you do?

Labels: , ,


5 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Save it for a cold winter day! :)

9:04 PM  
Anonymous mrs. trooper said...

Buy new clothes? HEHE. Just kidding... I'm sure I'll pool mine with Andrew's and put it towards something energy friendly. (But if I were single I would buy new clothes with it!)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Mr. H. said...

I will buy fossil fuel and go somewhere in my SUV.

Cheerios

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy some tasty steaks and go over to Andrew's and bbq them on the new bbq he is gonna buy with his $100

-nick amado

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the $$$$$ Alberta has stashed away....Albertans should each get $500 !

I'd fill my "small" gas tank if they gave me $100 !!!! he he

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home