Thursday, June 26, 2008

AMD, Chess, and Apples

It's not every day that these three topics come together to make a story. But when I read about Vishy Anand, the current World Chess Champion, making an advertising deal with AMD, a computer processor manufacturer, I was pretty impressed.

Being a chess enthusiast myself, I am always on the lookout for references to it in marketing material, advertising, and entertainment. I see it more and more, and wonder if perhaps Chess is starting to become mainstream again. It could be that it's just such a well known standard game that everyone recognizes it, but this advertising campaign seems to indicate something more. I mean, how many people out there actually know who the latest World Chess Champion is?

What caught my eye though, was this, available as a desktop background:


"Break myths. Go by facts"

This is truly intriguing. Who came up with this? Does Vishy Anand, or possibly a clever marketing person know what really happened in the Garden of Eden?

Anyway, a note to my family and friends: Time to start learning Chess! It is no longer for old men in the park and the nerdy type! Join me for a game sometime...

Labels: , ,


5 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous mrs. trooper said...

The only comment I have concerning that ad is that how many average people (like me) are going to look at that picture and realize that the guy in it is a chess champion. I would have thought he was just some average joe... Maybe they should have had some reference to chess on the ad as well... what do you think?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Mr. H. said...

Good for Vishy Anand of India. I read a bit about him, and he seems to be as good as they come and deserving of the win.

Also, ya gotta love the title, "The fruit eaten by Adam and Eve wasn't an Apple." dah...no kidding! I know what AMD is referring to in the ad (Apple Computers), but the statement is actually true!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Trooper said...

Mrs. Trooper, I think you're right about lots of people not knowing who he is. However, I'm unsure about the target market here. It could be that in Europe, India, and other places he is in fact more well known. Definitely, in those countries, Chess is taken far more seriously than it is in North America.

Mr H, I hadn't considered the Apple Computers angle, interesting. Kind of a play on words.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

indeed, interesting ad!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous e. said...

Although I had never heard of Vishy Anand before....thanks to you and your Blog I do now !!!!

Great Ad !

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home