Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Yet Another Milestone

Another 365 days have passed, and that means one step closer to 30 for me! I had a bit of a scare yesterday when I couldn't remember if I was turning 28 or 29, but after some quick math, it was the lower of the two. Not that it's that big of a difference, they're just years between the nice round numbers like 25 and 30, but I'm happy to still have two years between me and the next decade.


Yum! Apple strudel was a nice surprise.

It's been 10 years since I graduated from high school. Many things haven't turned out as I thought they would. Some have, just a bit later than I thought. Other things are yet to happen. I suppose the exciting part of life is that you just never know what's going to happen next.

This morning, I was woken up bright and early by a rousing birthday song from my parents, sisters, and their children (all connected via conference call). My aunt, grandma, and cousin (and kids) called shortly after to wish me a happy birthday as well.

Now let's talk about gifts for a minute. I realized this year that I'm getting a bit older because I don't know what I want, and I seem to be a bit harder to buy for. Still, things worked out well, and for future reference, if you can't think of anything else to buy me, Purdy's is always great.

The gifts I received this year are quite nice, however. Natasha bought me two expansions to one of our favorite games, Carcassonne. She also bought me a camera tripod which I am excited to use for a lot more creative photography. Since we plan on buying a video camera before the baby is born, this will also come in handy for that as well. My parents bought me a nice navy blue sweater, a black shirt and a black tie (with snowflakes), plus a Burnt Almond dark chocolate bar, and Sculptorades, a tiny spin-off game from the original, Cranium. And Natasha's Mom sent me an HBC gift card which I will likely use to buy something nice to wear to work.


This is the tripod Natasha bought for me.

Now that it's dark outside even earlier than before, there's a lot more opportunity for long-exposure photography. As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to try a few night shots to see how they turn out.


Traders and Builders: Carcassonne expansion


The River II: Carcassonne expansion

These expansions will really boost the size and length of the game, and make things more interesting.


Sculptorades! Like pictionary, only molding clay!

I think we're going to have a Sculptorades competition when the family is here. Having the original Cranium game as well, it will give us even more sculptorades cards to play with.


Black shirt and snowflake tie

This one was from my parents. They also bought me a blue sweater, and a matching one for our baby. Very cute.

Thanks to all of you who bought me something, sent me a card, called me on the phone, emailed, or sent me a Facebook message. It's all very appreciated. I now begin my 730 day journey towards being 30 years old. I hope that I will get to spend lots of time with all my friends and family, enjoying life to the fullest wherever possible.

Sorry, no photos of me yet. We'll be back into the swing of things soon and there will be more people pictures to share.

Labels: , ,


10 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Mom & Dad Hoyer said...

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday Dear Andrew!
Happy Birthday to You!

Hope you have a Great Day!
Wish we were there for some
Birthday Cake :-)

See you in a few days!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Sciurus said...

Happy birthday! Unfortunately, doing basic math like counting days until you turn 30 or computing your age will only become harder from now. But I can tell you from experience that becoming 30 is overhyped, so you won't miss much in case of some minor miscalculations ;-)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Thomas B. said...

Once you hit 29, it's all downhill. First, your memory goes, then your... um... where am I?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Thomas B. said...

Oh, and happy birtsday, andrew ;)

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

Hope you are having a happy birthday! You're a cool brother. :)

See you in 37 days!

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Ste said...

Happy 28th Birthday Andrew!

You're an awesome Brother! Too bad we didn't live closer to where we could get together more! BUT...we hope to get together alot during our visit for Christmas! See you then!

p.s. Looking forward to seeing some birthday pics!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Uncle Bob and Auntie Elsie said...

Happy 28th Birthday to our Favorite Nephew !!!!

Wish we were ONLY 28... almost double your age :)

God Bless you and give you many more happy and healthy birthdays.

7:27 PM  
Blogger The Atavist said...

Happy birthday, Andrew!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous e. said...

I LOVE the Black Shirt and Snowflake Tie !!!!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous shelley said...

The games sound fun! It's been awhile since we've played together, we'll have to try it!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home