Monday, September 03, 2007

Langley Chess Open: Day 3 & Conclusion

Today was a good day in terms of play, and success. Both of my games ended in draws, meaning they were tied, and got me half a point each. I played against two younger guys, probably 12 or 13 years old, who are quite good, and possibly more experienced than I am. I played as best I could, and am happy with the outcome. At least I'm on the scoreboard.

Conclusion

This tournament has been a great experience for me. I must admit, it was nothing like I expected, and the competition is way beyond what I thought it would be. I was playing in the same room with (but not against) people who are ranked in the top 15 in BC, as well as a bunch of young kids who are all wearing shirts from their trips to national tournaments, youth chess championships, and the like. I was constantly amazed at seeing a complex chess position, with a middle aged man on one side, and a child on the other... looking as confident as can be.

So, while my expectations were wrong, and my overall score lower than expected, I am coming away with a lot of experience as far as gameplay goes, and in terms of how to prepare and actually play in a tournament itself.

As for whether I'll play in another tournament... I hope so. I don't know when or where it will be, but when I have the opportunity again, I would like to have another shot at it.

Score after Day 3: 1.0 / 6.0

Labels: ,


2 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Mr. H said...

I'm glad you had a good time and challenge!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

It's always nice to be up for a challenge!

I hope the opportunity arises again for you to play in another tournament!

Glad you had a good time!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home