Sunday, September 09, 2007

BBQ-ing A Tasty Steak

Those of you who know me, know that I am nearly always hungry for tasty food, and am a decent cook myself. This week, I decided to make myself a tasty steak dinner, and thought I'd share it with the world.

To make your own tasty steak:

First, buy a good quality steak. Top Sirloin is good but if you want T-bone or prime rib I'm sure that'll be great. I recommend it be at least 1 inch thick, especially if you want it rare or medium rare.

Take a sharp knife and poke through the steak in about ten places, flip and do the same on the other side. I don't know if this is the "right" thing to do but it works for me. Then, brush all sides of the steak with extra virgin olive oil. This helps the seasoning stick, and will prevent it from sticking to the grill. I've noticed that since doing that, my BBQ meats have been much better.

Season the steak with whatever you have available. Seasoning salt would be good. Salt and pepper perhaps. I recommend Montreal Steak Spice. Coat it... make a crust of seasoning.


Don't be shy. A little Spice never killed anyone!

Now prepare your side dishes. Slice up some potatoes and wrap them in foil with a spoonful of butter. A little salt and pepper is good too.

If you have zucchini or anything else handy that goes well on the BBQ, make a few slices, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper. If they're large enough to put on the grill without falling through, do that.

Turn your BBQ on medium heat and put the potatoes on the upper rack. Give it about 5 minutes to heat up and let the potatoes get a head start. Then when you're ready, turn one side down to low and move your potatoes and veggies to that side.

Throw on the steak! Let one side really sear for a good five minutes, then flip to the other side for five. This will help it cook through more on each side. Depending on how you want it cooked, flip it a couple more times for up to five minutes each. This should give you a decent medium rare steak. Still pink inside but not bloody. Use your judgment here. It takes some practice to know when a steak is ready.

Put it all on a plate, top with green onions, sour cream, etc.


Your tasty steak dinner

And that's all there is to it. No need to go to The Keg anymore! Let me assure you that you can make the best steak you've ever tasted right at home.

Labels:


7 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Looks delicious! :)

It's a definate...a person spends WAY too much money at a steak house, and once you have the proper techniques, you can have a tasty steak meal for a lot less than at the restaurant!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Mom H. said...

You are quite the Chef I must say!
Looks great!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous sandi h said...

Very impressive Andrew!

I agree with you, it's much too expensive to go out for a steak dinner, especially when you have to pay for 5 people, in our case.

Nothing like a tasty BBQ'd steak, fried mushrooms, Beans, young potatoes & dill, nice fresh garden veges, and a ceaser salad.

MMMM.... I think I'll pick a couple up this week and email you a picture of our dinner.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous e. said...

Your STEAK Dinner Looks GREAT !!!

We find that steak at home is ALOT BETTER than eatting out.

Last weekend we had GREAT T Bone Steaks @ D and MJ's.

With Chefs like us....the Steakhouses are going to go bankrupt :)

4:04 PM  
Blogger Bro Trevor said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't poke through the steak a bunch of times!!!

NOOOOOO

If you poke through the steak, all the juice will run out throughout the middle of the steak.

The best idea is to never never cut into the steak until it is done. This will help retain more of the juices.

Otherwise..

Looks good!

Carry on.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Trooper said...

Just to be clear, I'm only poking holes before the meat is cooked, to allow the oil and spices to get inside a bit.

Definitely, once the meat is cooking, it should not
be cut because the juices will run out. However, if the meat is cut beforehand, those exposed edges will be seared and hold in the juices anyway.

I'll try my next steak without doing that, and see if it's any different. I've done it this way the last few times with excellent results, but I will try it without to test the theory.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with trevor.....I worked at a meat store never poke holes trough it and cook it slow its the best

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home