Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Shogi

Here's the latest addition to my game collection. It's a Shogi board, also known as Japanese Chess.


Shogi board and pieces

I bought it in Bellingham at a Japanese store that carried all types of inexpensive items... similar to a dollar store but with slightly better stuff. How cheap? Board and pieces for $3.00! It's not high quality, but for the amount I will use it, it's plenty good enough.

The main problem is that it is quite uncommon outside of Japan, and nobody I know plays it. Some people in the local chess club play Chinese Chess, but I've never seen a game of Shogi in action. So unless Natasha decides to take it up, I may not have anyone to play with for some time.

Labels: ,


3 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

I'd be up to try a game of it...is it alot different than regular chess?

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Trooper said...

It is similar in basic concept, but has pieces that have different moves, and pieces that you capture can be recycled back onto the board.

So there are similarities and differences, but it actually seems like it could be a really interesting game once you got the hang of it.

If you're interested in seeing how each piece moves, the wikipedia link I gave tells all.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous takodori said...

Hello, Just for your info.

Here is the URL of the website of Canadian Shogi Federation.
http://platz.jp/~tanase/csf/csf.html

It's easier to find a shogi opponent online. Please give it a try www.kurnik.org You can play many boardgames incl. shogi there.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home