Monday, August 20, 2007

Chess Tournament: Langley Open

In just under two weeks I will be participating in my first ever rated Chess tournament. The tournament is being run by the Langley Chess Club, their second annual so far.


Langley Chess Club

If you visit the tournament page, you can see my name in the list of confirmed players. As I haven't played any rated games so far, I don't have a rating which puts me in the lowest level to start. That's fine with me, as I know I can't compete with the highly rated players who are in the 2000 range. My estimate is that I'm somewhere in the 1300 to 1500 range. To give those of you who don't know much about ratings an idea of scale, the highest rating achieved by any player is Garry Kasparov, a past world champion, at 2851.

This tournament will be a good experience for me as it puts me up against live players who are outside my circle of friends, family, and co-workers. It's more likely that these players are better than me, and more serious about Chess as they're actually taking the time to participate in the tournament. Even if I lose every game, I will come out with a lot of information to analyse and learn from.

My goal is to get 2.5 points out of 6 (1 point is scored for a win, 0.5 for a draw, and 0 for a loss), which I think is reasonable because if I win against a lower rated opponent early on, it will bump me up and pair me with a more highly rated player.

During the tournament, I will make a blog post daily to post my results, comments, and any other information of interest. Maybe even a photo or two if I can get them.

Coverage begins Saturday, September 1st!

Labels: ,


3 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Sounds exciting!

Wishing you the best! :)

9:16 AM  
Anonymous shelley said...

good luck!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous chessloser said...

good luck! playing in a tournament is way fun, you meet cool people, you can walk around and watch others play and learn from them....enjoy it and have fun...

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home