Wednesday, April 25, 2007

One Square At A Time

I read an article in the National Post yesterday that really puts the spotlight on the insanity of some people's thinking these days. Sheryl Crow, a well known singer, is running a campaign to stop global warming, particularly in the way of saving trees.

Her solution? Everyone should use only one square of toilet paper each time they use the bathroom. Maybe two or three at most for those "pesky" situations where more might be needed.

First of all, is it only news to me that TP is made from trees? I always thought it was made from those little pillow guys you see in the commercials.

Second... one square? I'd have a little respect for this idea if there was the least reason to believe that Sheryl Crow only uses one square every time like she's trying to tell the rest of the world. I know I sure can't, but I'm limited to a budget that can only afford 3-ply TP. Maybe she's buying high end 10-ply stock (with double-wide sheets) and is out of touch with the reality of day to day life.

The bottom line is... environmental change is not going to start on a personal level. Most people don't think about the big picture when they fire up the furnace, or leave their car idling for five minutes. Or when they use more than one square of TP.

It has to be taken care of at a higher level. Reduce emissions from big industrial plants, start creating quality and affordable cars that are efficient. If you supply people with the same convenience and it's less costly to the environment, it'll just work itself out. Let people choose on their own, and the environment will come second every time.

For the real solution to wiping out global warming, look somewhere other than toilet paper.

Labels: , ,


6 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

Nice Post! I'd have to agree with you!

Maybe she feels like she will save trees by even limiting her amount of TP used! :P

6:32 PM  
Anonymous e. said...

I had to laugh when I heard about the on the Radio !!

Unbelievable !

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Mr. H said...

Another crazy woman...my goodness, and I thought Rossie O'Donald was the only one!
Well, my take on this great Global Warming swindle is much like the growing number of scientists and other people around our world who are starting to see through the verbal slime that the far left/treehuggers/fearmongers/Global-Warming extremists/etc. are trying to feed us. They are trying hard to convince us that we are totally to blame! I say baloney!! Do I think we affect the climate on Earth by things we do? Of course!
But don't be fooled, don't believe all you read and hear in our left-wing news media! Do a bit of your own research online or in other good articles and you will see what I am talking about. For starters, go to Google.com and type "Global Warming Fears" or "Global Warming Myth" or "Myths" into Goggle and follow some links.
p.s. please recycle and don't idle your car!
Cheers

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

I think people overestimate how much we can actually effect the climate. Back when hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, some people were blaming Bush for it. :) But I still think that we should do what we can for the environment and the future of our children.

About the TP, it just cracks me up that Sheryl Crow would even suggest that publicly. lol

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Maybe Sheryl Crow needs to go into the tree planting business. Or move to a country that doesnt have toilet paper and use her left hand.
Wonder if she uses a Diva cup instead of tampons and pads!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

That was a really sad comment on her part, and altho it was embarrassing as a whole, at least she had the right idea. Do *something*, even if you can't change the world on your own. I'm sure there were times when women and different ethnicities were being oppressed and the easy thing to do was to say, "I can't change the world." But look how much better the world is today. :)

PS - I didn't realize TP was made of trees either, I always thought it was kittens...(I always found the Royale "kitteny soft" ads pretty gross!)

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home