Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11 - Five Years Later

Today is five years since the day of the terrorist attacks and subsequent collapse of the World Trade Center buildings in New York City.


WTC2 explodes as a plane hits the building

Much has changed in those five years, some for the better, others for the worse. Or have things really changed at all? No doubt the next year or two will bring a whole bunch of events to keep us guessing. Our support goes out to all the people throughout the world involved in fighting terrorism and the enemies of our country.

I've added a new section to the left navigation bar called "Keeping Informed" which will list news sites, blogs, and other sources of information on current events.

Thinking back five years, it's hard to believe that so much time has already past. But day by day, time passes and here we are at the fifth anniversary.

My question for you is... Where were you when you heard about the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center? Post a comment and tell us where you were and a little about what went on around you during that time.

Update -- Video

Just browsing the web for 9/11 related stuff. Here's an interesting video that some guy put together with a lot of news footage from the day this happened.

Update -- On the right track

I appear to be right on track with the "Where were you?" theme. I saw two or three papers today that have the same kind of wording in the headlines, as well as other sites which are posting places to add your stories. Could be after 5 years, people really start reflecting back on an event.

Update -- 9/11 slideshow

Here's a great slideshow of pictures from 9/11. Forgotten the images you saw five years ago? See this!

Labels: , ,


12 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Trooper said...

As New York City is at least 3 hours ahead of us here on the west coast, I was probably still sleeping or just getting up when the first plane hit. I remember checking CNN.com in the morning and seeing a picture of the building and smoke coming from it. But there were few details.

On my train ride to work, the usually quiet train was buzzing with talk, and cell phones were ringing non-stop. I managed to get some details from conversations, but started getting real news once I made it to the office. It was a pretty unproductive day at the office, as I'm sure lots of places were, as people were thinking about what happened, keeping in touch with the news, and slipping out for lunch to find a TV for live coverage.

Can't believe it's been 5 years...

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was working. Fortunate enough to be connected online. Word spread as soon as the first airplane hit. Saw everything after that happening live. Couldn't believe that it was actually happening. Seemed like a movie. Felt so distant until it hit me that it was totally real. Amazing how the internet and media could bring something like this in real time.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Mike Simon said...

I was in english Class, grade 12.

My teacher said we were watching history... how right she was. Everyone freaked out, we thought it was world war 3 about to start...

Not totally correct but sure started a long lasting string of violence that doenst seem to be slowing down.

At the time, I couldn't comprehend it, it was too much for my 17 year old brain to understand.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I was enjoying a calm morning with Esther, who was 1 at the time. It was Mom, if I recall right, who called and first told me about it. I quickly got the T.V. out and put on the news!! I just couldn't believe my eyes. I remember quickly taking my T.V. over to Grandma Jones house, so they could watch it too. I later went down south to where Terrill was working..he was unable to see any coverage till that night at the motel.

And now...we remember the families who lost their loved ones in this tragic event.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

I was sitting in my grade 12 Canadian history class, when a teacher rushed in and got my canadian history teacher to turn on his radio. While we were listening to the radio, the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Centre. It was scary because me and my family had many friends in NY, but thanks be to God, that eveyone of our friends who worked in or near the trade centre escaped. Many of them told how God changed their routine etc, so that they were out of danger when the planes hit. God certainly looks out for his own.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous e. said...

I was in bed when I got a phone call with the terrible news : (

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Shanna said...

I was in bed when i recieved a phone call from a family friend asking if I had heard the news. My dad is a pilot for American Airlines and was flying at the time. I remember the fear that swept over my family when we heard that some of the airplanes were American Airlines. We didn't hear from my dad till late that night and we were all about to kill him. As always my father was kept safe by our loving and most gracious God.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Tasha said...

I was at work and someone came in to pick up steel and said that a plane had hit the world trade center, at first we were like, "you're kidding"... it was surreal as someone got out a small portable radio we started to listen to the news broadcasts and then Colin and I were glued to the car radio during our lunch break. Once we got home we saw all the footage... what a terrible tragedy, and one I'm sure the world will never forget... Makes you want to be sure of who your maker is and what you're here for!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I was living at the Gagniers at the time. I had just gotten up and was chatting with a friend from Chicago. She asked me if I had heard about it, so she told me.
I was supposed to be flying out to Baltimore MD on Sept 13th. I cancelled it.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Mom H. said...

We were at home getting ready to leave for work. We heard about
the first plane crashing into the first tower on the news.
Then we actually got to see the next plane crash into the second tower and then they said it was a terrorist attack.
What a tragic day for many people,
especially the ones on board the planes and the ones trapped in the towers. Some people called in sick that day. Can you imagine how they felt?

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Rose said...

We were in Whistler, BC with Stephen K and family. The morning news was on TV. I saw the second plane crash into the tower live as the ruins of the first tower was being videoed. Shocking! Seemed like we were watching a movie.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Susanna said...

We had just moved to Stow, OH three days before, and Brian started his new job September 10th, 2001. So I didn't have a job yet or anything, so I was at home in our new apartment. So Brian called me at home and told me, and our apartment was high enough that I could get a TV signal without cable or anything, so I saw some of the events live, like one of the towers actually falling down. I was really scared, and I called Steph and Mom about it, and Mom said that Andrew found out about it on the internet.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home