Saturday, May 28, 2005

Trip to the Maritimes: Overview

If you've been checking my weblog, you may have noticed that I didn't really post a whole lot while I was gone on vacation. This was due to a couple of factors, including the fact that I didn't have much internet access for the first half of the trip. But once I reached Fredericton, things got really busy and I even took considerably less photographs than I usually do.

My trip started out in Halifax where I stayed for 4 days. I stayed in a hostel which was a new experience for me, one which worked out well. It's a nice way to travel when you're alone because there's always somewhere to go back to where there will be people.


The Hostel


Halifax is a nice city, just the right size. It's a university town, so there are tons of young people all over the place. Most of the buildings are old, and many are marked as historic buildings... but the East coast of Canada was the first to be settled so it's no surprise.

The city also has a military feel to it. Signal posts here and there, and Citadel Hill up in the center of town, used years ago during the war to defend the harbour.

I rented a car, and took a drive along the Lighthouse Trail. The best place was Peggy's Cove which is a very beautiful town. I got a couple of really nice shots of the lighthouse.


Peggy's Cove


The day I went to Peggy's Cove was beautiful as you can see (although windy), but the rest of the time it was cloudy, breezy, and at times rainy. I decided to settle in for the rest of my trip and spent the rest of it relaxing at the hostel, going to the library, exploring the town, and generally just enjoying my time before the second half of my trip.

When Wednesday rolled around, I was up by 5:30am, packed up my stuff, and headed for the bus station. That took me from Halifax to Fredericton in about six hours. I was met by a very good friend of mine who I have known for years. You will read more about her in a little bit.

I spent the afternoon exploring Fredericton. I couldn't help but stop in at the library for a bit of time on the internet. ;o)


The New Brunswick Legistlature


Right, now a bit about my friend! Her name is Natasha, and we've known each other for about six years. She spent a few days in Edmonton back then and we spent some time together. It never worked out until now for me to travel out East, but the plans were finally made and I came out to see her. She lives out of the city a ways, on a nice bit of land with her parents and brothers and their families.


Natasha's House


New Brunswick seems to have many of the largest things in the world. I hear they have the largest potato in the world, and the largest lobster. And this:


World's Largest Ax


Do you see me in the picture?

Natasha organized a canoe trip with a few other couple's which turned out to be an excellent time. It's probably the funnest outing I've ever been on, and it really brought us all together as friends. There are more pictures which I may post at a later time, but here's one of me:


Andrew in a canoe


In fact, the day only got better, as Natasha and I had a talk on the drive home and decided we'd take a leap and take our friendship to the next level. I'm proud to say that my very good friend is now my girlfriend.


Andrew and Natasha


Doesn't she look good in a Tilley hat?! This was taken while on a walk at the Bay of Fundy, on the south end of New Brunswick.

Well, that's the trip overview. I will post more later, so keep checking back!

Labels:


4 Smart Remarks:

Anonymous Val said...

Aww.... yall look so cute together! Congrats! :) She does look good in a tiley hat, have to give her extra brownie points for that! ; )

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Tasha said...

What a good write-up... but so many details you left out! Guess you'd have to write a book... Miss you :)... Tasha

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,

Congatulations !!!

You two look great together.

All the Best.

E.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Samantha said...

Wishing you both all the best and may God bless you in whatever your future brings! Congratulations...Sam

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home